Fight back with awesome

You know how you hear something and it all makes sense?

The view is different but with a dose of Awesome it's just as good.

The view is different but with a dose of Awesome it’s just as good.

I had that experience recently at Problogger when Trey Ratcliff  was talking about critics and he came out with this stunner of a phrase.

“Got haters? Fight back with awesome.”

Huh. It hit me like a lightening bolt.

It’s a brilliant idea. It’s right up there with Gandhi’s ‘peaceful protest’ concept and the Christian faith’s ‘Love your enemies’.

Why have I not taken this to heart before?

So I started applying the principle. And not just for those who are critics and those who are out with the hedge clippers trying to knock me down and into shape. (A nice little topiary is not my thing!) I started applying it broad brush style.

But to everything that was frankly, a bit crap.

Not to say that there aren’t enough critics to keep me busy applying this principle. There are heaps of ’em and it has become a little wearying. The hardest thing of all is when you’re trying to do something new and wonderful and the detractors are there basically saying ‘naff off we don’t want you on our patch.’

But now…out comes my super stash of awesome. For every criticism I will bring out the big guns; more help, more advice, more support… I’m feeling more determined than ever.

I’ve also started applying it to the negative tough stuff in my life right now. It’s no secret that this year has been a doozy – with moving and illness and financial stress. So instead of crumbling I’ve grabbed my awesome dipped arrows and chucked a few out of my quiver.

Have to move house when we are still struggling to get the business (x2) up and running, and the kids have exams?

Bam go the awesome arrows.

But at least the new place is not far from the old house. And it has a great view still. It’s closer to the beach. It’s older and tireder so we should be able to live in it a little more easily without watching every little knock. And it’s cheaper so we should have more money to meet our expenses and maybe even live a little.

Having to pull on the purse strings and limit the household budget to accommodate the move?

Bam.

At least it’s summer and we all need to lose weight (except my Englishman who urgently needs to put weight on!) so we’ll swap the fillet for fish and soak up those EFAs and delight in less calories.

Blog been down after a nightmarish migration?

Bam….heard this morning that it’s gone UP in the Top UK Blogs’ index put out by Ebuzzing. Yup, it’s now within the top 100 Parenting blogs in the UK. Not bad for a blog based in New Zealand. See the wee badge over there >>>>

Having to give up my much-loved ensuite bathroom?

Bam… Oh wait.

Can’t think of an ¬†upside to that. Hate sharing my bathroom with the kids and their idea of what constitutes a clean bathroom. I do not agree that wet towels belong on the floor where they can happily accommodate a population of germs of legion proportions.

Ok, so there will always be things that are hard to look on the bright side of, but generally speaking this awesome trick is going well.

Is there something going on with you right now that you can fight with awesome too?

'Fight back with awesome' has 20 comments

1. October 8, 2013 @ 10:27 am Erin

Love it! Go you!!
    E x

• October 8, 2013 @ 1:05 pm vegemitevix

Ah thank you! Must go and read your blog post about dresses and ankle boots because it’s something that has perplexed me for some time.

2. October 8, 2013 @ 12:01 pm Dorothy

Oh, no, not the ensuite! I’ve got a positive for you – fewer bathrooms to clean!

• October 8, 2013 @ 1:04 pm vegemitevix

I know. Yeah it will be fewer bathrooms to clean, but more towel tides to wade through on the way to the bathroom sink. ;-p

3. October 8, 2013 @ 12:02 pm Rachel Lees

This is just the sort of thing I needed to read today. I’ve been thinking too much on the hater I had a few months back who told me I can’t write, and I keep trying to imagine the day when my book sells more than hers. ‘Fight back with awesome’ should be our daily mantra!

• October 8, 2013 @ 1:03 pm vegemitevix

She said you couldn’t write? Horrible woman. I have had that criticism before also and it felt so very wounding. Smack her with Awesome Rachel. xx

• October 8, 2013 @ 9:04 pm MidlifeSinglemum

There are certain things that negative people say that are so obviously wrong you just have to laugh. Saying we can’t write is like saying my father’s a Viking. It’s so far off it doesn’t mean anything.

• October 9, 2013 @ 8:22 am vegemitevix

Funny thing – Miss Fliss looked over my shoulder and saw that and said ‘Why do people say you can’t write when you can?’ Excellent question I thought.

4. October 8, 2013 @ 12:09 pm Kirrily

Now THIS is food for thought and has given me a bit of a boot up the behind. You’re a marvel.

• October 8, 2013 @ 1:02 pm vegemitevix

Oh thanks Kirrily. Hope you are not doing it too tough at the moment. Vx

5. October 8, 2013 @ 12:38 pm Lisa Barton-Collins

Congrats on the top 100! That is indeed awesome. Trey Ratcliffe knocked my socks off with this gem, and you are right – it’s all in the silver lining that is there if we seek it out. That view is stunning!
    xx

• October 8, 2013 @ 1:01 pm vegemitevix

He was a great speaker eh! But this little gem was what I needed to hear right now. I’m working pretty hard trying to get Parents Online NZ up and running and delivering BlogCamps all around the country. It’s quite a bit of work, and will be a bit more before I really have the concept bedded in. I foresee a future with one hand on my quiver. ;-p

6. October 8, 2013 @ 9:02 pm MidlifeSinglemum

Excellent post. I’m currently doing the STOP-tober challenge which is basically about not spending any money in October. The store-cupboard amnesty is a big help in reducing food bills. (Although you probably don’t have much of a store cupboard as you’ve only been there less than a year.) I hope the new house has along rental contract and you’ll not have to move again for a long time.

• October 13, 2013 @ 8:20 pm vegemitevix

Wow that does sound like a challenge. I have these amazing friends who turned up on moving day with food for the pantry and freezer and dinner cooked and ready to be reheated. It was fabulous!

7. October 9, 2013 @ 9:08 am Expat Mum

In the USA the saying is “Kill ’em with kindness”. I try……

• October 13, 2013 @ 8:19 pm vegemitevix

I’ve always loved that phrase. It reminds me of when Whovian Traveller was an insouciant tweenie and I would restrain her in a very firm hug to keep her from combusting.

8. October 11, 2013 @ 7:18 am Helga

“Fight back with awesome”?! Frigging brilliant! I’m so taking that on!
    Thank you for your lovely comment! X

9. October 13, 2013 @ 8:18 pm vegemitevix

Thanks Cecily. I was sent your blog by a friend and thought it was brilliant. Must grab a copy of Daniel Pink’s book.