old_woman

You know you’re not old when..

Miss Fliss, now 13 yrs old and my newest teenager has a sharp wit on her. She loves a joke and nothing makes her laugh more than having a joke at her poor old mum’s expense.

old_woman

“In my day…” Imge: Flickr CC Kicki

We were hanging out in the lounge one recent sunny weekend afternoon, stroking the cats, drinking hot chocolate when she lulled me into a false sense of security. We were hanging like good friends. One friend had grey highlights.

I admired her latest Manga drawings. They are really very good.

We shared information about music and agreed that Of Monsters and Men sound great. We laughed at radio station The Edge’s latest radio set-up about rubbish presents.

The poor girl who was given a set of hose fittings from her Grandmother. The guy who received a pen*s enlarger from his sister!

Why would you?

Miss Fliss and I laughed, hard. Oh what fun we had.

I chipped in with how when I was young I received an Air NZ first class gift set (one of those they give away to first class passengers on the plane) second-hand from a relative – the non-travelling relative.

Miss Fliss’ face distorted with horror.

“But Mum. Don’t say that.”

“Well it wasn’t too bad, it’s a long time ago..”

“But Mum. You’re not old!”

“Oh?”

I wrinkled my 45 year old nose that has not been remodelled by any surgeon but the hands of Father Time.

“You even know about technology and everything!”

Yeah.

Things have changed since the stone age.

'You know you’re not old when..' has 14 comments

1. August 14, 2013 @ 1:49 am uniquenique01

That made me laugh for sure – my 14yr wants me to get with it and get my own smartphone as I have a tendency to loan his when I need to use my Square to take payments – I did try and explain that smartphones and hot glass don’t mix well but he took that as his old mom trying to not get with the new technology 🙂

• August 14, 2013 @ 7:41 am vegemitevix

I know. Funny eh. What’s My Square? I’ve found smartphones and glasses of coffee and/or wine don’t go together well either. Do you remember DOS?

• August 14, 2013 @ 7:36 pm uniquenique01

Square is a payment system to take credit/debit cards at shows 🙂 and yes Dos was the operating system when I first learnt to use a computer 🙂

• August 15, 2013 @ 9:57 am vegemitevix

Cool. I could probably do with that for some of the events I’m running. Yes I started on DOS too on a HUGE computer with a blank screen and orange text. 🙂

• August 16, 2013 @ 12:02 am uniquenique01

yup computers are a little more user friendly now 🙂

2. August 14, 2013 @ 12:17 pm donnasimone

I love it when our daughters make us feel so good… x Feisty females. Wahoo.

• August 15, 2013 @ 10:01 am vegemitevix

No idea where they get it from eh Simone! ;-p

3. August 14, 2013 @ 4:55 pm MidlifeSinglemum

In Israel a dos (pl. dosim) is slang for an ultra-orthodox religious man. There used to be a joke: what’s the difference between the porstitutes in Amsterdam and the Prostitutes in Bnei Brak (an ultra-orthodox town)? In Amsterdam they work in windows and IN BB they work in dosim. Even the joke is obsolete now as anyone under 40 doesn’t know what dos is or what it means.

• August 15, 2013 @ 10:00 am vegemitevix

That’s really interesting and what a funny joke. I’m not sure how many people under 40 know what DOS is either or that it stands for Disk Operating System.

4. August 15, 2013 @ 8:46 am Bright Side of Life

Hehehe. What a lovely compliment from your daughter! 🙂

• August 15, 2013 @ 9:59 am vegemitevix

yes, I’m sure she meant it as a compliment, but it must seem like such a strange world I grew up in offline as it was.

5. August 15, 2013 @ 9:26 am Elizabeth Collins

Haha – out of the mouth of babes! Take it, and remind her when necessary ;-)!

Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday!

• August 15, 2013 @ 9:58 am vegemitevix

I will remind her one day. Maybe the day after she bears my grandchild! Mwahahaha!

6. August 15, 2013 @ 5:36 pm Notes From Lapland

computers are much easier to use now they aren’t made out of rock, eh?