Today has been cancelled

Some years ago someone asked me what was the hardest thing about being self-employed, to which I replied – the buck stops with you.

cheer up note

Look what I found written on my work notepad. Love that kid!

It’s a glib little phrase, but on days like today it comes back to bite me. You see, I have decided that due to unforeseen circumstances today has been cancelled. Today, I have a stonking migraine, and the grey patina has flavoured the sky once more after the brief respite of glorious sunshine yesterday. Yesterday, I felt drunk on sunshine. Today, I have a sunshine hangover.

Unfortunately that means that there will be no meaningful blog posts written today. There will be no housework done, no cooking, no cleaning (let’s face it not much of that happens on a typical day!). It also means that I will not be available to nod sympathetically and smile understandingly to those who need to vent their problems. I’m sorry about that. Sorry to disapppoint.

Today has been cancelled. If you could leave your name and number at the tone I will come back to you when I can string a lucid sentence together, and when I can open my eyes without searing my brain. Today I will be burying my head in my pillow and trying to not think about the nightmare I had last night that featured snakes (my absolute terror symbol), concerns about my family and health worries. Some days I just have to sleep, and when I do I hope that someone up there, will keep my business and family safe, while I’m off duty.

Today has been cancelled. See you tomorrow?

'Today has been cancelled' has 13 comments

1. March 20, 2012 @ 12:54 pm Dorothy @ Singular Insanity

Get better soon!  I hope you have some decent drugs to help with that migraine… Hugs.. And cold towel over your eyes…

• March 20, 2012 @ 9:09 pm vegemitevix

Weirdly I didn’t know about the cold towel over your eyes, but it’s a great tip thanks.

2. March 20, 2012 @ 12:56 pm Expat Mum

Hope you feel better soon. Buy yeah, I’m in the same boat. If I’m incapacitated it all goes down the toilet very quickly.

• March 20, 2012 @ 9:10 pm vegemitevix

It’s not easy is it! But thankfully feeling much better this evening and think the headache has left the building…well for tonight at least.

3. March 20, 2012 @ 5:10 pm Midlife Singlemum

Take the day off and feel better soon. We all need to be able to crash when the need arrises. xx

• March 20, 2012 @ 9:11 pm vegemitevix

I know we do, but isn’t it so hard to actually do? Hope you’re keeping ok Vx

4. March 20, 2012 @ 7:18 pm Steve

I wish you’d told me before I got up and went to work this morning…

• March 20, 2012 @ 9:13 pm vegemitevix

Wouldn’t it be great to cancel days when you want to though? Funny, I always thought that was one of the perks of working for yourself and it turns out it can be way more difficult than when you work for someone else.

5. March 20, 2012 @ 7:30 pm Ca4ole

Get well soon. Hope you are lying very still in a dark room with a wet cloth over your face.

• March 20, 2012 @ 9:11 pm vegemitevix

Thank you, feeling much better tonight so hopefully back to normal by tomorrow. Now all that’s needed is a good night’s sleep.

6. March 21, 2012 @ 5:26 am Claudia McFie

That looked like a pretty meaningful blog post from where I’m sitting.  Hope you’re feeling better soon.

7. March 21, 2012 @ 6:42 am Mummy Mania

If only we could cancel some days!  Know exactly how you feel. Mine started at 4am this morning and doesn’t look like improving…. Hope the head is better soon

8. March 21, 2012 @ 6:52 am 21st Century Mummy

I get bad migraines too. I had 3 in week when I got back from the UK. Life grinds to a halt, I can’t do anything but still have to try to meet deadlines, it’s bloody horrible. Hope you feel better tomorrow.