Thanks Kate for right to choose

Guess what!? Kate Sheppard and the right to vote

Something very special arrived in the mail yesterday. It was addressed to me. It even had my middle initial, and it looked official. The powers-that-be have decided that I can vote in the UK General Election. Which is great, because let’s face it I’m not good at being quiet.

I want my right to be choosey, to count!!!

As a Commonwealth citizen with rights to reside here I’m allowed to have a say in which pillocks politicians get to have a go at stuffing up the country fixing the country.

“To make democracy work, we must be a national of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.” Louis L’Amour

I’m not going to talk politics here. There you can all relax now. My political views are more closely held than my sex life, the shape of my brazilian wax and my children’s puberty. However, I am going to make an appeal…..

Please, please, please ….. in the name of all that is good and holy… if you can vote today in the UK election, do.

Especially if you are female. And here’s why…

There are four main countries in the world today that restrict women from voting. They are;

• Bhutan – one vote per household usually utilised by male head of household
  • Saudi Arabia – women are unable to drive and lead very restricted lives
  • UAE – though the situation here is changing
  • Lebanon – women are allowed to vote if they have reached elementary education. Men have no restriction.

The inability for women to vote is cited by international human rights’ agencies as one of the major indicators of an environment that restricts the quality of women’s lives. Women in these countries are unable to speak up about issues that affect them and their children. Many live hard lives and die young.

I’m very grateful as a modern woman living in a modern country to be able to cast a vote, but as I trod down to the polling booth I won’t be thinking of Emmeline Panckhurst or the other English suffragettes.

I will instead be thinking of Kate Sheppard whose insistence (some would say bloody-mindedness) brought a country and its male politicians to their senses, and instigated the women’s right to vote on 28th November 1893.

That country was the first country in the world to enable women to vote.

Guess where it was?

New Zealand.

Thanks Kate.

Image: Kate Sheppard from wikipedia

'Thanks Kate for right to choose' has 16 comments

1. May 6, 2010 @ 11:50 am PippaD

I will be voting after school as Top Ender wants to come with me (and its just outside the school). I have always known about the elections as I was born the day before the elections in 1979 so my newspaper clippings and things like that are full of mentions of the predictions for the GE the next day!

• May 6, 2010 @ 12:36 pm vegemitevix

Gosh with such a birthdate maybe you should be standing for election? What would your manifesto be?

• May 6, 2010 @ 1:01 pm PippaD

lol, I have said that my MADs manifesto is Family Fun for all! I would have to think harder for proper ones though!

• May 6, 2010 @ 1:17 pm vwallop

I was 7 when Maggie got in in 1979 and I can just about remember all the adults standing around the TV watching her speech.

2. May 6, 2010 @ 1:16 pm vwallop

Great post! I treasure my right to vote, and even if I think all the options are useless, I still put a cross next to SOMETHING. Very happy you got to vote, how exciting is that?

3. May 6, 2010 @ 5:22 pm Steve

I was up and casting my vote before breakfast this morning. Well. A bit after breakfast if truth be told but certainly before I went to work and the kids were at school.

Couldn’t agree with your sentiments more.

4. May 6, 2010 @ 12:50 pm pippad

5. May 6, 2010 @ 1:36 pm vegemitevix

6. May 6, 2010 @ 2:01 pm pippad

7. May 6, 2010 @ 2:16 pm vwallop

8. May 6, 2010 @ 2:17 pm vwallop

9. May 6, 2010 @ 6:22 pm Steve

Couldn’t agree with your sentiments more.

10. May 7, 2010 @ 6:17 am Muddling Along

I must read more about her, I’ve always wondered what it was that meant that New Zealand was so much more enlightened

I’m a great believer in voting because we have this hard won right – Babygirl is named for a suffragette to give her a strong female role model

11. May 7, 2010 @ 7:17 am Muddling Along Mummy

I must read more about her, I've always wondered what it was that meant that New Zealand was so much more enlightened

I'm a great believer in voting because we have this hard won right – Babygirl is named for a suffragette to give her a strong female role model

12. May 7, 2010 @ 11:47 pm Nondomestic Goddess

Whilst we compliment ourselves in New Zealand, long and hard for being the first country in the world to give women the vote, I’m afraid I will have to take the wind out every female’s collective sails by saying the reason was purely because they wanted the women to vote for temperance – no enlightenment of the superiority of the female psyche or acknowledgement of equality – sorry…….

13. May 8, 2010 @ 12:47 am Nondomestic Goddess

Whilst we compliment ourselves in New Zealand, long and hard for being the first country in the world to give women the vote, I'm afraid I will have to take the wind out every female's collective sails by saying the reason was purely because they wanted the women to vote for temperance – no enlightenment of the superiority of the female psyche or acknowledgement of equality – sorry…….